Tuesday, October 10, 2006

This picture is supposed to be Moses leading the people out of Egypt and through the Red Sea. To honor my current reading of Exodus I wanted to share my favorite joke about Israel traveling through the Red Sea. There was this freshman seminary student who was reading his Bible one evening. He started cheering and hollering. His roommate came in to see what was going on. The freshman claimed he was excited reading about Moses leading the people through the Red Sea to freedom from the Egyptians. The roommate (a third year student) calmly informed the freshman that once he got to professor X's class he would discover that the Red Sea at that time was called the Reed Sea and was only three (3) inches deep. The roommate left the room and the freshman went back to reading. A couple minutes the freshman was again cheering loudly. The roommate rushed back in and wanted to know what was going on. The freshman claimed, "I can't believe it, God drowned all those Egyptians in just three (3) inches of water!" When we are oriented properly no one can take away our faith!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You think anyone reading this HASN'T already heard that story?!

I do like the line you added at the end, though. I like that thought. Sometimes it's so discouraging to think about others who are easily led away from their faith because there is so much "stuff" out there that is more tempting. I've never been truly tested, but I'd like to think that I'd have a steadfast faith in the face of severe persecution. Love you, Dad!

Bob Bliss said...

I saw the picture, was reading Exodus, so I had to get the story on my blog. What can I say, I'm addicted to a good joke.

I hope we gave you a good foundation so that if testing does come you will weather the storm. Love you, too.

Matt said...

If you are reading exodus, try Nahum Sarna's book. A little bit of it is a little out of whack but there are some historical tidbits in there that you can't find anywhere else. It is pretty interesting. Great to hear of the responses in Mt. Dora. God bless