Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Holy Spirit

Over the years the subject of the Holy Spirit has constantly popped up. I do think that some preachers and churches avoid the discussing Him just because it's easier that way to keep the peace. The elders here at Mount Dora want me to work on some lessons about the Holy Spirit, so I've been working through my beliefs with an eye towards some lessons. It's been awhile since I preached on Him but not because I've been avoiding doing so, it's just that there is so much to study and talk about in a local congregation.

I've been thinking through the question of the "indwelling of the Holy Spirit" issue since that seems to be the most common question that our members have. Our fellowship (at least since I've been around) has two basic positions on the "indwelling of the Holy Spirit." The first was popular back in the 40s and 50s. The claim is that the Spirit indwells us through the Word. I can well understand how this viewpoint can develop. If you consider that most of the New Testament is written to Christians who had no written Bible but did have prophets speaking the Word of God by the miraculous power of the Holy Spirit (1Corinthians 12:28) then most of references in the New Testament are seen from that perspective. Such as when Paul says to "walk by the Spirit" in Galatians 5:16. I'm pretty sure myself that Paul's reference to the Spirit doesn't refer to an inner voice that the Spirit speaks directly to the Christian but rather to the Spirit's guidance through the inspired prophet who speaks when the Christians gather for assembly (1Corinthians 14:26, 29-30). So it is assumed that once the Spirit quit performing miracles (at the end of the apostolic age - i. e. once the apostles died) that the Word is all we have.

The other position is that the Holy Spirit indwells us personally. The focus comes from passages like Acts 2:38 where it is believed that the gift we receive at baptism (along with forgiveness) is the Holy Spirit himself. Plus there are several passages where it is mentioned that the Spirit dwells in us (Romans 8:9,11). Along with this position comes the idea that the Holy Spirit actually strengthens us directly as we serve God.

I have a third option that I think reflects the biblical subject of the Holy Spirit but I'm going to wait on discussing that until later. I'm going to blog for awhile about various related subjects on the Holy Spirit. I think this will be a way of articulating my understanding and perhaps even refining my positions. I'm hoping that this will help me in preparing my lessons for Mount Dora.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm interested to hear some of your reflections on the Holy Spirit. Someone just told me recently about visiting a nearby congregation that has the first position--that the Holy Spirit speaks to us only though the Word. I haven't done much studying or reading on the Holy Spirit, but this was a new concept to me. I had never articulated my exact beliefs on the Holy Spirit, so I don't know what I thought until recently. A Christian that believes the Holy Spirit indwells us through the Word, what would they think about me saying that I felt the Spirit giving me a nudge? Would they say that my own conscience was reminding me of what I've read in the Bible? Perhaps that's how it works, but I still feel that's the Holy Spirit dwelling in me--in my mind, maybe, but still in me.

Matt said...

It will be interesting to read your thoughts on this issue. I will check back.

Anonymous said...

sorry, we never met in Jersey, I am up north

I have been preaching a series on the Spirit and it has been received well. most people just say they have never (or rarely) heard anything taught about it and are glad to finally hear something. My series is very much a survey, without getting too deep or too controversial (IMO).

there are two things in Romans 8 that the Spirit does that can't be done only through the word.

God bless you for preaching on it, especially being new