Thursday, October 12, 2006

inadequate divine-esteem

I found this quote in Theocentric Preaching (a blog by Darryl Dash) that is probably going to be at the top of my list of great quotes.
The fundamental problem with most of us is not deficient self-esteem but inadequate divine-esteem. As we submit ourselves to God, [and recognize] that ultimately he operates for his own name’s sake, and that his investment in us relates to agendas far greater than ourselves, we will treasure the grace which he reaches out to us. (Daniel I. Block, The New International Commentary on the Old Testament: The Book of Ezekiel, Chapters 1-24)
I believe that self-esteem is the result of our focus on God but not the goal. Our problem as Christians is not that we don't believe enough in ourselves but that we don't believe enough in God. One periodical I used to read years ago, pointed out something about the Exodus that has always stuck with me and I think agrees with Block's quote. Basically the author pointed out that in the Exodus God tells the Israelites that when He sees the blood of the lamb on their door posts that He will passover their house and not kill their firstborn. He doesn't say when I see your faith and appreciation in the blood I will passover. If they apply the blood then they trust God. We need to focus on trusting Him more not more on building our self image.

How to do it? Two ways. First, read the stories in the Old Testament because those stories testify of God's faithfulness. If we believe that God is faithful and that He has demonstrated it over and over again, then we will believe that He will be faithful in our lives as well. We will also learn that God's faithfulness isn't always fulfilled the way we want. I'm sure that Joseph prayed for deliverance from his situation immediately. But God's faithfulness wasn't seen in Joseph's life until he had been gone from his family for almost 22 years. Those stories are just good for the kids. The second way we can focus more on trusting Him is to put into practice what He wants. Live faithfully and He will faithfully reward you. Let His word live in your life and see God's faithfulness for yourself. You will grow. It will not be pain-free but you will grow.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I really appreciate this post. I might miss hearing your sermons, but I like knowing I occasionally hear sermon thoughts from you. Keep it up! I love the reminders.

Bob Bliss said...

Wow, quick response. I just posted this 30 minutes ago. Thanks for the encouragement and boost to my self-esteem!

Matt said...

I go back and forth about which comes first - being who he wants us to be or doing what he wants us to do. I lean in favor of being who he wants us to be coming first and the result is we will end up doing the right thing. On the other hand, there are times we do the right thing and grow closer to God because of it. I don't guess it has to be an "either or" but is probably a "both and". At different times both of those help us grow closer to God. What do you think?

Bob Bliss said...

I'm a "both and" kinda guy on this. I think James speaks to this when he talks about our faith being perfected by our works. He uses Abraham's sacrifice of Isaac as an example. When we do what we are supposed to do, we see how much we can trust God. Also Gideon is a good example. He had doubts and concerns all along the way yet he did what God wanted him to do. I believe that he grew to trust God more because of his doing.