Sunday, January 28, 2007

Bowling for fun

It seems like this congregation is testing my athletic ability (what little remains at least). We went bowling as Loni pointed out on her blog. My first game was a 126 which isn't too bad considering I haven't bowled in 20 plus years. My second game went much better. I found my groove about the third frame and got 3 strikes in a row. The score board above the lane flashed my name and a turkey. I wonder where they got the idea to call three strikes in a row a turkey? I did a Google search and found out that around the turn of the 20th century during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays bowling establishments would offer a turkey to anyone who got three strikes in row. The name stuck. Anyway, I finished with a 160. It was the second highest of the night. One of the guys who used to bowl in league and probably averaged 200 plus bowled a 168. The last game they turned out the lights with blue lights on the pins. It's called Cosmic Bowling. I couldn't line up on my spot and my bowling went south. I was doing really lousy (my forearm was getting tired by now as well) and then they turned off our lane. We were bowling by the hour not the game. We had a lot of fun being with our brothers and sisters from the congregation. It was great to be with adults (no kids allowed!). I think I'll do some weight lifting for about 6 weeks before we go again.

5 comments:

philaphonic said...

I love showing off my bowling ball to everyone. though if I bowl too much, the 16lbs tends to make my arm sore.

Anonymous said...

16 lbs?! Sheesh, if I can find an 8-lber I'm happy. I'm such a wimp.

So THAT'S what Loni meant about you being a turkey.

:p

Loni said...

Thanks for the info on how the name turkey came about. It is neat to find stuff like that out. So, do you need a turkey now? We did just have chicken noodle soup. Can that count? Don't forget you were the one who was walking around like a turkey. You think you do this stuff to be silly and embarrass me/mom, but now you are going to get stuck being called a turkey!
Love ya!

Bill Williams said...

Great post, Bob. Your blog came to my attention through your daughter's. I’ve recently added it to the Spiritual Oasis’ Expanded Blogroll. If you are aware of additional blog’s that you would like to recommend, please drop me note at bill@thespiritualoasis.org.

Grace and Peace,
-bill Williams
Spiritual Oasis Blog

Matt said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. That is a really good score!