Saturday, January 06, 2007

The "Bob" Diet

In July 2005 (the month I was asked to leave) I weighed over 240 lbs (probably close to or over 245). This morning I weighed myself and I'm at 217.4 lbs. With the stress I experienced over being asked to leave, I didn't eat much for a couple of months. In September I noticed that I was below 230 lbs. So I determined to keep it up. Here are my principles for the "Bob" diet.

1. I don't eat in the morning until I'm hungry. I'm up at 5:00 AM every morning. I have a sip (yes just a sip) of juice. Just enough to rinse out the morning breath. I put on coffee (about 2 mugs' worth). I used to put 2 or 3 spoons of sugar in as well as creamer. I have weaned myself off the sugar. I switched to light cream instead of creamer (Tom Shuff told me that Dunkin Donuts uses light cream and that's why everyone loves their coffee - including me). However, here in Florida you can't buy light cream in the quart size so I'm using half & half. So I have coffee in the morning and nothing until I'm hungry. I take some 7 grain cereal (or something nutritious) with me to the office. I usually wait until after I do my daily Bible reading and Greek vocabulary stuff to eat. By then I am hungry (usually around 9:00 AM).
2. I try to have a nutritious snack sometime after breakfast. I usually get hungry again a couple hours after breakfast. Fruit or 7 grain bars.
3. I eat lunch when I'm hungry - not until then. Usually around 12:30 or 1:00 PM. I take lunch to the office. Sometimes leftovers, sometimes a sandwich, or whatever I might find in the kitchen.
4. I again have a nutritious snack a couple hours after lunch because usually I'm at least a little hungry then.
5. I can't control dinner time (not complaining, because our schedules are hectic and who knows when it will all come together), but I'm usually blazingly hungry by the time it comes around.
6. I will eat dessert later on in the evening. Usually I'm hungry again by 9:00 PM or so.
7. I try to not eat sweets during the day. By eating fruit or a 7 grain bar I control my sugar intake and my sugar highs. I think this has helped regulate my hunger.
8. I want to eventually make sure that I don't eat anything after 9:00 PM each night.
9. I also drink more water now. But I need to drink even more.
10. I also limit my portions during the three main meals and try not to eat seconds (I saw a sign at a gym one time that read, "It's not the minutes you spend at the table, it's the seconds.").
11. I weigh myself almost every morning. I know that other diet plans say to weigh yourself only a couple times a week but I've found more motivation to keep up with my plans by weighing myself every morning (before breakfast).
12. I've started walking every morning after I put the coffee on. I'm hoping to eventually start riding my bike and maybe even get a Total Gym.

So that's the "Bob" diet. Simple rules, simple plan. I haven't lost loads of weight but I have lost over 25 lbs and kept it off. I hope that the beginning of next year finds me under 200 lbs. I mention my diet because I was reading a planning guru's blog and he talked about his diet. I think I've done a better job than he in losing weight. At least I'm headed in the right direction.

7 comments:

philaphonic said...

Sometimes it scares me how similar we are in somethings. Because of recent stress and my emotional state, for a few weeks, I barely ate. The thought of putting food in my mouth made me nauseous. I used to be a steady 205, but recently hit below 190. I am now anywhere from 190 to 195...I am working on drinking more water and eating better. Most people who go overseas, gain, and I lost maybe not weight but size...
huh. glad you are trying to eat better dad, hopefully we can walk more together next time I am home.

Bob Bliss said...

I started walking each morning this week. I look forward to us doing it some more as well.

Lisa said...

Dad likes exercising with his kids ... remember when we ran together when I was in high school? I HATE getting up early, though, so that didn't last long! I look back now & wish I had done it more often.

Bob Bliss said...

Lisa,
Yes I remember our running days. I enjoyed that time. Remember when we moved to Tabernacle and you wanted coffee in the morning before school? I enjoyed those mornings as well.

Lisa said...

Time well spent: Exercising or drinking coffee that's not so good for you ... time well spent. :)

Lisa said...

It's been confirmed! In January's Reader's Digest, Drs. Oz & Roizen stated that "People who weigh themselves daily as part of a diet-and-fitness plan are 82% less likely to regain than those who don't." How 'bout that?!

Anonymous said...

Bob,

Nice Diet! I have begun to take some of those same steps. I added working out three days a week for two hours at a time to my routine. While I am working out it gives me a chance to listen to some sermon MP3's from various places.

Also, I see you mentioned a Total Gym. My in-laws are currently trying to sell theirs. They have not used it due to my father-in-laws back condition. If you are interested, just let me know.