Friday, March 16, 2007

The Restart and Undo Button





I enjoy some distraction during my work day. The computer and Palm has afforded an opportunity to provide that distraction. Both have a "Games" folder where I keep a couple of games, mostly some form of Solitaire. What is really cool about these games is they come with two buttons - the undo button and the restart button. I usually go through a game and then when I lose I hit the restart button and do the game over. I can usually see two or three moves that I can make differently and possibly win the game. You may wonder why I do that - the games keeps statistics and I'm looking to best my win streak of 13 games. During a game I can see two possible moves (e. g. two red sevens and one black eight show up) and the undo button allows me to see which move might be the best. In spite of the two buttons, I don't always win but I keep trying.

Don't you wish life came with a restart and undo button? When we find ourselves down the wrong pathway we could hit restart and get on the right pathway. Or when we say something that someone obviously is offended by we could hit the undo button and say something more appropriate. But alas, life doesn't come with these two buttons. And even if life did that wouldn't guarantee that we would always win.

However, most of us know when we make certain decisions know what the consequences will be. When a man decides to cheat on his wife, he knows that the other woman could become pregnant. He also knows that if she is a minor he could go to prison. He also knows that his ministry will not only end but will have a bad reputation and outsiders will trash the church (Romans 2:21-24). He also knows that his sin will find him out (Numbers 32:23). And yet a decision is made and an action taken. He has placed his desire above all else. Sometimes the decision is easy - we want pleasure or whatever else the action might bring. Sometimes the decision is not easy - the battle between the flesh and the Spirit rages on (Galatians 5:17).

There are a some good posts in light of what has happened recently to the Pitman congregation in Southern New Jersey. Trey Morgan has two posts - here and here. Steve Pucket (here) has a good post with links to some resources . Finding out that a fellow preacher (and in particular a preacher I know personally) has committed sexual misconduct used to surprise me. Not because I believe we are immune to such temptation but because I have always thought they (the ones I knew personally) were so strong. A preacher friend from eastern PA that committed such an act would have been the last one I would have ever thought would give in to such temptation. I thought I was the only one who struggled with such feelings. But I am not the only one. I read a newsletter a couple of months ago about a young fellow going into the ministry. The church where he started had just been rocked by the sexual misconduct of another minister who was in his 50s. The young man had a wise grandfather (around 70) that he consulted. He wanted to guard himself against such a sin. He asked his grandfather when these sexual urges stop. His grandfather said when I find out I'll let you know. He was surprised to find out that his 70 year old grandfather was still dealing with the urges.

I am grateful that my wife is of such a personality that she will let me know when she thinks a situation isn't wise for me to go alone. I am grateful that God has provided me with other escape pathways. But I know that Satan is lurking around every corner waiting for any of us to come into a situation that he can exploit. When certain decisions are made and actions taken there is no restart or undo button, the damage is done. The rest of us need in these situations to throw out a lifeline. Satan may have claimed them for the moment but God is still waiting for them to come back.

8 comments:

Neva said...

Sometimes I think it would be good to be able to restart or undo--but I also know me, the same attraction to sin is still there, the same weaknesses, the same stresses, etc. Without going through sin, one cannot truly appreciate repentance and mercy and forgiveness. I think when we sin, we learn, we grow and we get more mature.
Just my thoughts.
Peace
Neva

Bob Bliss said...

Neva,I didn't think to talk about what would happen if we had a restart or undo button. More than likely we would abuse it just as much as we do our current lives without such buttons. Yes it would take away the growth process and maybe we would be worse than we are now.

jel said...

It is a good thing , that we don't have the button, Cause I would have them worn out! :(

I always thought, that if I stayed to myself, and didn't go anywhere, and not talk to anyone, I wouldn't fall into tempttion. but in doing that I failed to grow, to put my faith in God!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Janice, what a great observation. We need the community of the church, don't we?

jel said...

Yup, we sure do Lisa!

Matt said...

Fred Asari once said that when a tree falls in the forest it does not fall alone. It takes other things with it. I have seen ministers fall completely away from sexual misconduct and I have seen others come back and be powerful warriors for God. We need more avenues to help people and ministers in this area.

Bob Bliss said...

Matt, who is Fred Asari?

Jel, I think some of the early "monks" sought refuge from temptation by being alone. But I think they found out that temptation would still follow them. We do need each other to grow, to admonish, and to help each other daily.

Matt said...

I should have spelled it Fred Asare. He is a director at the Village of Hope in Ghana. Missy and I were blessed enough to have some mutual friends and share some time together in Memphis. He is an amazing individual.

http://www.thevillageofhope.com/