Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Lines in the Sand Revealed

The president who said the quote (click here) I liked so much was former president William Jefferson Clinton. The occasion was the dedication of his presidential library in Little Rock. The date was November 18, 2004. If anyone is interested in the transcript you can read it here. The speech is not long so don't be afraid to read it. I'm amazed at how ugly politics and elections can be and then how the same politicians are so gracious to each other at times like a library dedication. President Clinton was gracious to President Bush (both H and W) as one can read in the transcript. President Bush apparently sent quite an entourage to the dedication.

President Clinton's special quote came toward the end of his speech when he tried to blend the value of both conservatives and progressives in our society at the close of the 20th century. I'm not sure that his application is exactly the way the two sides would have seen it but it was an interesting application. The quote continues to speak to me about the need in our fellowship to talk with each other and recognize the need for each side. I don't know if we will ever have that kind of harmony but it is worth the dream.

7 comments:

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Bob greetings from another Bob. I want to thank you for your very kind comment about my daughter on my blog. It was an encouraging word.

I see you are in Mount Dora. I used to live in Pampano Beach and then I lived in St.Cloud and met my wife in Kissimmee. But I do not think I have been to Mt.Dora.

I look forward to seeing you again at Stoned-Campbell and I will be dropping in on you too.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

Bob Bliss said...

Bobby, glad you stopped by. You're post about your daughter brought back memories of dealing with my three and their illnesses. I have a little (and I'm sure it's little) understanding of how God hurts when his children hurt.

Adam Gonnerman said...

What was the quote?

Bob Bliss said...

Adam,
The quote is found in a post from a couple of days ago, March 2 - Lines in the Sand.

Stoogelover said...

Bob: Dee Andrews sent me you comment to a blog I did last year on her "Grace Notes" about the teacher in Moses Lake, WA. - Jon Lane. One of my best friends here in Long Beach grew up with Jon and remains close friends with him.

So you preach at Mt. Dora? When we lived in Orlando (1960's), my siblings and I attended school at the Bible School. I have many fond memories about Mt. Dora and would love to return to the campus some day. I've known James Moore since school days, though he was more my older brother's age than mine.

I took a quick look at your blogs, but will come back when I have more time. It's Friday and Sunday's a comin' ... as they say!

Greg England
Long Beach, CA

PS ... Blogger may be more intuitive, but once you get the hang of WordPress (I've used both), it is far superior to Blogger, IMHO.

Anonymous said...

Dad, you should listen to Greg about wordpress. ;)

Just wanted to say hi! I'm over at our church building printing up the bulletins & I got bored.

Love you.

Bob Bliss said...

I'm working on it Lisa.