Saturday, March 17, 2007

March 17, 1980


In January of 1980 Tom and Karen DeGarmo showed up at services. I had just been at the Dover Church of Christ (in Randolph, NJ) for about nine months. They were newlyweds and Tom was fresh out of college with a degree. Tom had been hired by Bell Labs in Whippany, NJ. They moved to an apartment complex that was within 1/2 mile of our building. Karen was raised in a Church of Christ in Mill Hall, PA (not too far from State College) and Tom in the Catholic church. Tom however was quite interested in learning more about us.

Pat, Lisa (she was all of five months), and I went to visit Tom and Karen the very next evening. Tom and Karen seemed pleased and Tom was willing to study. He proposed that we take turns coming to each other's home and eat dinner together and then study. We were so pleased at his willingness. So we studied and studied (and ate and ate) for the next few weeks. One Monday night Tom looked at me and said, "So when are you going to baptize me?" Tom can be direct when he needs to be (a good trait that he often uses well). So we made a few calls and went up to the building. I don't remember who all was there but a few showed up and Tom was baptized by faith into Christ. It was March 17, 1980.

Tom and Karen were a real asset to the congregation. They were both quite involved. Tom actually called me about two days after his baptism to get my advice on what to say to a co-worker on his van pool about the gospel. I couldn't believe that a babe in Christ only two days old was out evangelizing. There were a good many people who were brought to Christ because of Tom and Karen.

After a few years they moved to Bethlehem, PA so that they could afford a home. Now years later Tom is a deacon for the King of Prussia congregation outside of Philadelphia. He and Karen have raised three children (Beth, TJ, and Seth). They have continued their involvement with the local congregation and are surely as valuable today as they were back then.

Tom calls me every March 17th. He started calling the year they moved to Bethlehem (somewhere around 1986). He called me today. He calls to say thanks. He calls to say "I love you." And I look forward to his call every year. He almost had to call me from the Mid East. His company has sent him over on occasion. I am blessed to know such a gracious servant as Tom.

12 comments:

Neva said...

Bob,
What a gift people like this are for us. I am so grateful and encouraged when I hear from those i helped find Jesus. I am sure they have no idea how they have blessed us, This is a great post,
may you have many more of this type of blessings.
Have a great Lord's Day
Peace and prayers
Neva

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten about that! I'm glad to know that the DeGarmos are doing well. They were really fun people, and I always enjoyed spending time with them (especially Beth Anne!)

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

God does grant us rewards in ministry. I believe he has done so with Tom.

I appreciate your spirit and your gracious exchange with me on another blog.

Shalom to you and yours on this Lord's Day.

Bobby Valentine

Bob Bliss said...

Neva, you are so right.

Bobby, God does reward us more than we deserve.

Lisa, I'm glad you remember them. They were a special family to us while they were with us in Randolph.

philaphonic said...

I wonder how close the train or bus could get me to king of prussia coc....

Bob Bliss said...

Trey, why do you ask?

philaphonic said...

it was a joke dad, as in if I move to philly...

Bob Bliss said...

Sorry I didn't catch the joke.

TREY MORGAN said...

Bob ... loved the story. Glad you shared it. I know that can be so humbling to have someone feel so grateful.

Blessings

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Checking in. I see you are reading N. T. Wright's "Simply Christian." What do you think of it so far?

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

Bob Bliss said...

Bobby I really haven't started it just yet. I am a BIG fan of N. T. Wright. Our preacher group here in Central Florida does a December book grab bag each year. We bring a book wrapped in Christmas paper. We draw numbers and the first opens any package. The next is allowed to "steal" the opened book or open another package. It continues this way to the end. A book can only be "stolen" twice. I have had my eye on this book and it appeared in just the right order so that I could steal it the second time and it became mine. I think Steve Puckett brought it. I also think he reviewed it earlier in the year at one of our meetings. Anyway, I've been sort of caught up in other things at the moment and will start it soon. I'll let you know what I think.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bobby,
It is great to know that the DeGarmos still keep in touch with you. I remember them when I visited you in Randolph. One time I was there we went door knocking and my partner was Tom. The next time you talk to them, let them know I said hi!,
Love, Eric