Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Simply Christian



How many of us have taught "first principles" classes in our churches? N. T. Wright's latest offering Simply Christian is an attempt to be sort of a first principles kind of book. It is following in the footsteps of C. S. Lewis's Mere Christianity. I've been reading NT Wright for several years now and I've never thought to associate the words "simple" or "simply" with his writings. He is one of the deepest thinkers I've known even though he rarely uses big words. I never need a dictionary in reading him. This latest book continues that trend for me at least.

The book is divided into three sections. He follows a pattern similar to Lewis. The first section discusses four longings that Wright believes are universal to all humanity. He weaves these longings into the rest of the book to show that Christianity does make sense because it answers those longings. The second section of the book is about the Godhead and how God fulfills those longings. The third and last section concerns living out the image we find in the second section.

I had trouble reading the first section. Perhaps because it is Wright's reflection on how he sees the world. I knew what he was doing but still found it hard to follow. The second section was easier reading but the third was where I found myself slowing down and trying to take in every word. Maybe that's just me.

Wright states in his forward that he is writing for those inside and outside Christianity. Indeed the subtitle of his book is "Why Christianity Makes Sense." On the back of the dust cover is the recommendation of several well-known authors. Yet I don't think that these recommendations will tell others whether or not Wright's book has really accomplished his purpose. It seems to me that the publisher should have set up some kind of focus group that included a wide range of people inside and outside of Christianity. Then select recommendations from those groups for the dust cover. That would tell us if he really accomplished his purpose.

An interesting development is that Touchstone Magazine is featuring an article by Wright about C. S. Lewis's book Mere Christianity. You can read it online here. It is entitled aptly Simply Lewis. Then if you like you can join in a discussion about Wright's comments on their blog (here).
Wright brings up some interesting points about Lewis and Mere Christianity that I didn't know (of course I am not a Lewis scholar or avid fan, just a causal fan). I think it is well worth reading and will perhaps add to your understanding of Wright's book as well as Lewis's book.

I really believe that Wright's book is a valuable addition to a preacher's library. For me the highlight of the book was his brief section on baptism (p.212-215), . I started emphasizing some years ago that baptism was a participation (and identification with) by faith in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus in my invitations. I think that is the intent of baptism. Wright's discussion of baptism has really added to my understanding of baptism and its place in the proclamation of the gospel.

The interesting part of the book was his chapter on the New Creation. I was intrigued by his view that we are going to live on a redeemed earth when all is said and done. At this point I'm not sure about the whole discussion (you can go to Bobby Valentine's blog for a discussion from his perspective on the new creation - Bobby like Wright has some interesting points to make). However, Wright didn't really deal with the tension in the NT between the idea of a redeemed and liberated creation (Romans 8:18-25) and the idea that our citizenship is in heaven (Php.3:20-21). I have no doubt that part of God's redemption is restoring creation back to its original state. I'm just not sure whether that means we are going to inhabit it. What I do know is that we will be in eternal fellowship with God in a spiritual bodily state (1Cor.15:42-49) when all is said and done. I'm not sure this is an appropriate topic for new Christians. It will definitely be tough to teach it as Wright does in some of our congregations or even present it as a possibility. I think that is a pretty heady topic but I do understand why he included it.

All in all a good book. It will be valuable as resource material for those teaching first principle classes. It also serves as a reminder to the rest of us as to the general flow and content of the Bible. He seeks to take all the additional stuff religious people have added over the years and boil it down to what is simple and important.

10 comments:

TREY MORGAN said...

Your thoughts on Simply Christian were close to mine as well. The first part of the book went over my head for the most part. I found myself finishing a chapter and saying to myself, "I didn't understand a thing that he just said." I thought I was wasting my time. I'm thankful for the end of the book and the practicality there.

Good book review.

Unknown said...

I am really wanting to get into reading Wright. Thanks for reminding me of that fact. I have heard nothing but good.

Unknown said...

Sorry, wrong longin.

Matt Dabbs

Matt said...

Bob,

A new project I am starting that you might be interested in is an online compilation of Bible study helps on various passages. You submit your thoughts, notes, ideas on a text and it is turned into a post that is categorized under the appropriate book of the Bible. Have a look and see what you think.

bibleresources.wordpress.com

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Bob,

First, greetings from the desert. I have been reading Wright since the mid-1990s and understand why he is probably the greatest NT scholar on the planet ... but also an avid churchman. This is a very rare combination. I got hear and meet Wright at the Nashtosh House (an Anglican seminary) in Milwaukee last year (July I believe). He is even stimulating and interesting as a speaker.

When Simply Christian came out and I had time to digest it I nominated it for the book of the century so far on my blog. I have not changed my opinion on that.

Second, thank you for your kindness in mentioning my series on the renewed earth on my blog. I am delighted that I have some "interesting" points :-) to make. Ultimately I hope they are more than curiosities.

You mentioned some "tension" between Romans 8 and Phil 3 from the notion of our citzenship being in heaven. Let me comment on that just quickly. First Romans 8 is in harmony with dozens of passages of scripture about the redemption of God's creation.

Second I do not think there is any tension at all between these passages. Phil 3 is explored from a number of angles in my book Kingdom Come. For the moment however it is important to remember the historical context of the Philippians. Paul appeals to his readers experience as colonists. Rome settled retired soldiers in Philippi as ambassadors of ANOTHER culture (that of Rome). It was a Roman island in a sea of Greek. Rome also did not want soldiers in Rome (that usually bode ill for the city). The colony filled with Roman soldiers were sort of "resident aliens" from another world ... a Roman world. Citizenship had its pluses. If trouble developed the population of Philippi did not evacuate to Rome--no way! Rome would come to Philippi and destroy the enemies of her citizens. Paul uses this background powerfully in Philippians. That imagery is directly relevant to what 3.20 actually says. The NIV reads "our citizenship is in heaven [i.e. insert Rome]. And we eagerly await a Savior FROM THERE ... who, by the power that enables him to bring EVERYTHING under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so they that they will be like his glorious body."

This passage, applied to its unique historical circumstance is in total harmony with Romans 8. The Savior comes FROM heaven, just as a "savior" would come from Rome to rescue her citizens. But Rome does not take the soldiers back to Rome but rather pacifies the enviroment so that her colony can thrive where it is. Christ is going to do that to "everything" (cf. Col 1 and my blog Heaven 10).

N. T. Wright and many others scholars explore this imagery in Philippians most easily accessible would be in his Paul for Everyone: The Prison Epistles.

At any rate from my point of view Phil 3 supports rather than undermines the case for the renewed earth.

Sorry for being so wordy.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

Bob Bliss said...

Bobby,
I think you misunderstood my idea of the "tension" between Romans 8 and Philippians 3. I don't have any quarrel with the idea that God will renew the earth as part of his redemptive process. I think that Romans 8 and other passages make that beyond a shadow of a doubt in my mind. I believe fully that God is going redeem the entirety of creation. Our sin not only ruined our relationship with God, but our sin also ruined creation. My idea of "tension" is our final resting spot. Will we remain on the renewed earth in our transformed glorified bodies or will we be taken to heaven as another realm? I think that Philippians 3 and other passages (1Thess.4:13-18) certainly give the impression that we will be taken to heaven at the end.

I've not up to this point accepted eternal existence on a renewed earth for two reasons. One, the only ones I knew of who taught it were the Jehovah Witnesses. Since they tied it to their particular brand of eschatology I tended to reject the idea. Second, I didn't know of anyone outside JWs who believed in it. So now I'm listening and trying to understand the viewpoint. I look forward to reading your book and seeing how you handle the passages and the "tension" that I see (which admittedly others may not see). Thanks for your comments.

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Bob,

I am sorry for misunderstanding your meaning for the word "tension." I will try to avoid doing that in the future. A wonderful rendering of Phil 3.20 that I believe captures the meaning as well as anyone and more than likely how a Philippian would have understood the text in the first century is James Moffatt's. He renders the text,

"we are a colony of heaven."

I suppose if you believe God will renew earth but to what end? will he ultimately abandon it?

I hope I am not misunderstanding again ... which is certainly possible. It seems to that in light of the rest of Scripture that rather than us going to heaven that heaven will "come to us." This is the very thing we see happening in Revelation 21-22 which echoes Genesis 1 and 2 when earth was the dwelling of God and man together.

But 1 Thess also needs to be heard in its first century context. Paul uses a Greco-Roman image that every person living would have understood. When the victorious conqueror (Caesar, etc) returns the masses leave the city going out to meet the king as he approaches and greet him. But they do not stay away from the city the join the victory parade as the king returns to the city itself.

Paul uses various parts of this image in other parts of the NT as well (Col 2.14-15 and 2 Cor 2.14f).

Paul says that Christ is returning and he describes it in away that folks were quite familiar with. The greeting of the returning king meant victory for the city, not an abandonment of it.

At anyrate that is how I understand First Thessalonians.

One more note related to our discussion here. I have attempted to show in my series on my blog that the renewed earth point of view is the the historic Christian position. This is nothing novel with N. T. Wright. The JWs have some unique twists here in their beliefs that make it their own but the position itself has been explicitly taught and canonized in the ecumenical creeds.

Blessings as you reflect and we both travel on the journey God has laid out for us.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

Bob Bliss said...

Bobby, don't worry about misunderstanding in the future. We are imperfect and can't always know the mind of another. That is why we dialogue and talk things out. Folks of gracious minds will always keep the dialogue going. I don't know the answer to why God would renew creation only to abandon it. But I will keep reading and thinking about the issue. I'm glad that blogging has opened up new friendships and challenges. I look forward to more discussion.

Jack Exum used to say that he was a pan-millennialist. He believes that in the end everything will "pan" out.

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Bob I appreciate your spirit and I hope to imitate it.

The question I posed is, i believe, important however. Why would God redeem creation only to abandon it? Would not such abandonment ultimately mean he did not really redeem it? Or if we affirm that he will abandon it what would that say about God's opinion of the blood of Christ ... that after all was the price of redeeming the world. Such costly redemption does not, it seems to me, lend itself to the theory that God will finally cast of his own handiwork. And if he does cast of his handiwork will our redeemed bodies which are "of the earth" be abandoned too?

I just do not see how that position can be sustained from Romans, Colossians or Acts 3.21, Matthew 19.28 and Rev 21f. I have covered these passages on my blog except Rev. I welcome your insight into them.

I just placed my latest attempt to reflect on the new earth on my blog if you are curious. Oh, and I just finished reading last night N.T. Wright's massive The Resurrection of the Son of God and I will probably be posting a review in the next day or two.

I agree with you about finding new friends through the internet. I am delighted to have met you, Lisa and your family.

Blessings,
Bobby Valentine

Bob Bliss said...

Bobby, there is no doubt that you ask a good question about why God would abandon creation after redeeming it. I don't know the answer. I'm still thinking about it. I sometimes take a long time to let things simmer on the back burner. As I said I will keep discussing, reading, and thinking about the whole issue. I will read what you write and will give you my insights as well. I also welcome your insights and probing questions. I'm looking forward to your review of Wright's The Resurrection of the Son of God. I have the book but haven't read it yet.