Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Gospel is for all


Trey Morgan has a good post (click here) challenging us to make sure that we don't turn people into our vision of what is respectful before we convert them. What if the individual above turned up at your church? After picking yourself up off the floor would you not only invite them in but ask them to sit with you?

Let me tell you about an experience I had in my last congregation (Tabernacle, NJ). A young couple (late 20s) showed up with two young children. He was Caucasian and she was Asian. Both had rather extensive piercings (she - nose, lip, tongue, eye brows; he - bridge of the nose, eye brows, lips, tongue) and some tattoos. I think we did a pretty good job of welcoming them in without staring too much. It turned out that they were looking for a church that was a little more traditional than where his parents (actually Mom and Step dad) were attending. At the other church the deacons wore Bermuda shorts, sandals, and waved in the air. They wanted something more sedate. At first we seemed to fit the bill. They were pretty regular in their attendance for a while. During my visits with them I discovered that she was still married to some other guy and the oldest child was his and the youngest belonged to the current guy. They wanted to know if their marital situation (or lack of) would be a problem. She had trouble getting a divorce from her husband because of his obstinance. So she gave up. The current guy was content to live this way and their previous church encouraged them to not worry about it. I had never experienced anything like this and was so surprised that an evangelical church would encourage such behavior. I told them yes it would but now I wish I had told them that our goal was to get to know them first. They quit coming after that. I'm not sure they quit coming because I told them their situation would be a problem because I continued to pursue them and tried to make sure they felt comfortable with us. After a while it became evident that they were no longer interested in coming for whatever reason.

I have no doubt that sooner or later we would have to deal with their situation. But I think we try to clean up people's lives before we get them into Christ and we lose some because they don't fully appreciate their position. That means we miss some in our evangelism because they don't clean up as easily as we want. I don't want to suggest that we accept sin but we do accept sinners who need to learn and grow and that may take a while. Better to get them into Christ first and then demand that they grow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if we (general sense of the word) bring forth the concept everyone must get their lives straight before becoming a Christian. I have had several conversations where the individual said, "I have to get some things together first."

You cannot get your life together without Jesus.

Great thought provoking post.

philaphonic said...

I wish I would have been there to meet this couple. I think I would have liked them.

jel said...

i was going to ask what Gallagher,
just said,

if you wait to clean your act up before you become a christian, you never will!


great post !

thanks


have a great day!

Neva said...

Bob,
Enjoyed this post. Having been raised in the church, I have figured out (with God's help) that all of us have "piercings and tattoos and sinful relationships". Some of us just keep them hidden better.
Just a thought,
Peace
Neva

TREY MORGAN said...

Bob... growing up an old West Texas boy and not ever getting out much, it's easy to see others a differnet. I think though if I was to be found guilty by God for either being to accepting or being to hard on others, I'd choose to be the first.

Thanks for your thoughts and I like the picture. Wow

Trey

Anonymous said...

I remember that picture from a long time ago, and wondered at the time if I would be accepting of him if he were ever to visit the congregation where I was worshipping. I remember the couple you wrote about, and really tried to not "see" their appearances, but to think of their souls' needs for Christ. I am sorry they chose not to continue visiting and learning of Christ's love for them. Jeanne

Bob Bliss said...

Unfortunately this couple thought they knew about Christ's love for them. I just wanted them to hang around long enough so that I could convince them that they needed to not only know of his love for them but also how they should love him and put him first even above their needs and situation. Maybe God will get their attention some day.