Sunday, November 26, 2006

Evangelism

Years ago a prominent figure in our brotherhood came to speak to our preacher's group in North Jersey. During his talk he made the statement that our exclusivity was killing our evangelism. Afterwards I happened to be in the car next to him headed for lunch. I took the time to disagree with his statement. I said that our inclusivity is killing our evangelism. I pointed out that ever since I've become a Christian (1973) I've heard that Churches of Christ were one of the fastest growing churches during the 50s. I have often wondered why no one suggested that we recapture the attitudes and message that was present back then. Some may not have liked that our brotherhood was decidedly exclusive in its message but back then we knew who was lost and who was saved. I don't believe that this alone made us evangelistic, but it certainly helped. When we become overly inclusive there is no need to evangelize because everyone appears saved.

Our society today as a whole has moved to the left in its quest to be tolerant. Tolerance means that we accept everyone and their message. No one is lost. So if we evangelize any group we insult them and society jeers at us. Remember when the Southern Baptists were lambasted in the media because they believed that Jewish people in general were lost? I believe firmly that if we don't know who is saved and who is lost then we won't evangelize. I'm not suggesting that we necessarily believe that we are the only Christians but I am saying we must have a clearly articulated message that gives a clear indication of what we believe is the message and the response to it. Without this as a minimum we will have an unclear path for evangelism.

4 comments:

Matt said...

There is more and more research out there that moving a bit more conservative is attracting more members. People want to be different. They want to stand for something (even the truth!). To try to be just like the world offers them nothing they can't get at work. I don't think we need to swing extreme conservative but I do think we need to stand up for what the Bible teaches.

Good thoughts. Thanks.

philaphonic said...

I understand what you mean dad. We can't just accept everyone, or else what's the point. However I think the main thing similar to exclusiveness that people do not like about the church is a feeling of judgement. It's not that they don't want to be accountable (though some don't) its that they think we look down upon them, that we think we are superior. While it might not be true for all I will admit I have even felt this from other christians. That I think is what is hurting the church. But surprisingly the generation I am apart of seems more liberal in some senses, but especially more not accepting but understanding. We know more b/c of technology. We are hit with more issues before we have a clear standing on them. We maybe can more easily see both sides. ok that's enough. just my thoughts.
I do agree that being inclusive and more relaxed on rules and the bible is not the way to go.

Bob Bliss said...

Trey,
Glad to see you reading a commenting on my issues. I'm doing a series of lessons on Evangelism on Sunday nights so these thoughts are in my head. I've been wanting to put them down someplace and my blog seemed as good a place as any. It seems to me that no matter what stance we take we will always be seen in the eyes of most of the world in a negative light. If the world didn't accept Jesus then how can we as His disciples believe that we can be tolerated by the world at large?

You are right about the exclusiveness issue. Some may see that as arrogance. The real question is how to stay true to the Scriptures without giving the impression of arrogance? Is is possible that the world will always think of us in those terms? Or maybe it's just organized religion. And we are painted with the same brush as everyone else. A lot to think about.

Anonymous said...

huh?