Monday, November 20, 2006

Flustered

Yesterday I experienced something I've never experienced in the pulpit, I got so flustered I had to stop, say something, regain my thoughts, and then continue on. Now, I've lost my train of thought before, I've gotten flustered before, but I've never felt the need to say something. I've always just pretended like it was all part of my lesson. In essence I bluff and find my place. But yesterday I felt so lost that I was sure everyone else was seeing it as well. So I stopped and said something like, "I'm sure Barry Bonds has stepped up to the plate and not been able to swing, and that's what I'm experiencing." Then I got back in the "game" and continued on. Everyone afterwards was quite sympathetic and gracious. Some told me that I shouldn't have said anything because they certainly didn't notice. A lot of them told me it shows I'm human. Of course I already knew that. I just don't like my humanity popping up in front of the congregation. One visiting preacher shared with me a gaff of his from last week. It turned out to be a good experience - for me and the congregation.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

That's what happens when your mouth starts moving faster than your brain can keep up. :) Happens to me all the time, but I can't say as that I'd want to do it in front of a congregation!! I feel for ya.

Matt said...

I am sure Jesus stubbed his toe around his disciples a time or to - part of that fully human and fully divine thing. We only get half of that equation and that half really lends itself to mistakes. I think it is a good thing for people to be able to relate. If they only see the polished presentation they may think they have nothing to relate to in you. Maybe that is just what needed to happen! Take care

Bill Williams said...

Say it isn't so! This would be sufficient to prime the pump for about 45 minutes of story telling amongst the winter-fun-bunch at Gatewood Hall!

I just stumbled across your blog through a comment you made at preacherman's blog. We sure need to be praying for him, huh?

Hope all is well with you and your family. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

In Christ,
-bill
http://spiritualoasis.wordpress.com