Sunday, November 12, 2006

Today's Lessons 11/12/2006

This morning's lesson began a series of lessons on Stewardship. I started off with a look at God's faithfulness to us. The key characteristic of a steward is faithfulness or trustworthiness. I wanted us to first get a sense of God's faithfulness before we start considering our responsibility of faithfulness to God. I have always believed that our response to God grows out of His salvation and grace to us first. The next couple of weeks I will talk about being good stewards of the usual stuff - our money, possessions, time, etc.

Sunday evening I continued my series on Attacks on the Bible's Integrity. It is a difficult series since I'm not really explaining some Scripture or scriptural topic but rather talking about manuscripts, textual evidence, archaeology, and history. However, I seem to get good response. Tonight's lesson was about a web site from an Islamic group that is questioning the typical manuscript evidence that we use to demonstrate the accuracy of our current copies with what we believe to be the possible original text. I found this web site on the Evangelical Textual Criticism blog that I have linked to the left of my posts. I think I will wrap up this series next Sunday and start something new.

2 comments:

philaphonic said...

sounds like some good lessons. but I have a question about your comment. I know we aren't supposed to be passive, but what if we are living a Godly live, or striving too, and the issue isn't really spiritual. What if you just can't let something go, or an issue is so big you can't do anything and it causes you so much stress you can't function in life? How do we find peace then?

Bob Bliss said...

Is it really that you can't do anything about it or that you don't want to do anything about it? In the Letter to the Hebrews God doesn't let them off the hook just because they can't control their persecutors. He tells them that if they shrink back (which is exactly what Satan wants) then it is to destruction but instead they must persevere (Heb.10:37-39). Nothing should get in the way of us living a life of trust. We usually tell ourselves that our situation is different, that no one can understand, but those rationalizations only allow us to hold on to something that we shouldn't.