Saturday, April 05, 2008

More on Jesus, me, and the church

Let's get something straight. The first century church WAS NOT PERFECT! In fact they were just as much the sinners as we are today. Don't try to tell me that the reason for our "image" problem today is because we aren't as good as they were. And that they way to cure it is by better behavior on our part. And don't try to tell me that the church in the first century were such darlings that everyone loved them and they always did the right thing. They weren't loved by everyone - they were often persecuted. They didn't always do the right thing. They needed chastisement often got it by a letter from an apostle or prophet.

The church at Rome was divided between Jewish Christians and Gentile Christians. Apparently there was some judging going on that wasn't all that pleasant (Rom.14-15). Paul had to set them straight. And let's not forget that Paul and Barnabas had a rather LARGE spat concerning John Mark. The church at Corinth was quite divided. There are at least four groups that we know of. They were quite egotistical about their gifts and who knows what else. We won't even get into the Galatian error. Regardless of what that error entailed, Paul was pretty mad about it. He didn't have anything good to say to them in the letter. The Philippians had a couple of ladies arguing. I'm reasonably sure that their argument is probably bigger than we realize otherwise Paul wouldn't have dealt with it. The church at Ephesus had some elders who would begin to devour the flock. Later Jesus in Revelation says that the church at Ephesus was way too interested in putting people down than loving them. The church at Thyatira tolerated sin and the one encouraging the sin. The Laodiceans were quite self-sufficient. They didn't need anyone - including Jesus. The church at Saris was hung up on their past reputation and were dead to the present. Don't forget that Peter was confronted by Paul and stood condemned for his actions in Antioch.

And yet the problem is us. As Paul told those who trusted in The Law (Romans 2:17-24) that their inconsistent behavior was causing the Gentiles to blaspheme God. Those outside of Christ will blaspheme the name of our savior because of our inconsistency and sin. But we will always be sinners. Those before us were sinners, and those after us will be sinners. Our sin will always get in the way. We will never overcome the fact that we are imperfect. So the way to overcome this is not by telling us how good the first century church was. We need to focus on our savior and Lord. We need a healthy dose of his grace and how to be gracious to others. We need to keep our eyes and ears on the Word that God graciously brings to us and heed what it says.

We will always have disagreements. We will always have people dividing who think they are right in their beliefs. We will always fail under the scrutiny of the world. And yet if we realize that we are sinners we will seek a power outside ourselves (2Cor.4:7; 1Cor.2:1-5). We will seek the one who can make us adequate (2Cor.3:4-6). So we are the problem and the solution. But we are only the solution as we trust in Christ. Praise to the one who is perfect on our behalf.

6 comments:

Tom said...

Bob,
Amen brother. I couldn't agree more. I guess the one little caveat I would toss into the mix is that the early "Acts" Christians seemed to have it down (some of "it" anyway). They went everywhere they were scattered preaching and teaching. The message of the Gospel had reached them on such a level that they had no choice but to share it. I know that we do, even today have these kinds of Christians among us, and I praise God for them. If more and more people shared in this kind of Christianity the church wouldn't seem like were coming up so short. I guess the best thing I can do is to reach inside myself and strive to be the best disciple of Jesus I can be and let God handle the rest.

As I have told you many times before, I appreciate you and am grateful for the time I had to spend within your influence. I am blessed to call you friend.

Tom

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Good post. My lesson today at PV was along these very lines. It is online if you are interested.

Seeking Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

Bob Bliss said...

Bobby, I am subscribed to your blog through Bloglines. Whenever you have a new post I know about it and read it. I may not always comment but I read and try to soak up what you write.

Bob Bliss said...

Tom, you are correct about the early Acts Christians. In fact an interesting statistic of today is that churches (churches not Christians) under 15 years old grow the most. There is an initial enthusiasm that is generated in a new church. Planting new churches has become the new church growth method for growing a church. After a while a church settles into a routine, the enthusiasm dims, and the growth slows or stops. A few established churches learn how to grow again but most do not. It still seems to me that focusing on our behavior or telling the membership that others are doing better is not the way. It is a debate that will boil on until Jesus comes back.

Miss you brother. And fishing. Tell your family hi for me.

Frank Bellizzi said...

Bob, your observations are so important. I can still remember how guilty I sometimes felt in my early teens. With the help of some well-meaning preacher, I would compare myself to the great saints of "the New Testament church." They were so great. Of course, said preacher never mentioned that even the gathering at Jerusalem had its ethnic tensions. Maybe we overlooked that part of the Acts story just like we overlooked our own prejudices and self-serving ways.

Bob Bliss said...

Frank, you are right that we often overlook our own weaknesses. In pointing out the things I've just pointed out, I half to remember that I'm still imperfect myself.

Bobby, I misunderstood what you were saying in your comment. You meant that you just did a sermon on a similar subject. I thought you meant at your blog. I've found it on your church web site.