Sunday, November 25, 2007

Blondes and Images

A new study (which you can read about here) shows that it is not blondes who are actually dumb but people who look at blondes or pictures of blondes. In the study men were shown pictures of blondes and then given a general-knowledge test. They scored below par on the test. The article doesn't describe what "below par" means but I guess we are supposed to intuitively get the meaning. I've noticed in the past that men tend to act "stupider" in the presence of a blonde (usually trying to impress her) but had never expected that we men would also be affected by a mere picture. Women also scored lower on the test when shown the same pictures. The purpose of the study was to show how we react to stereotypes and cultural beliefs. To some degree the study suggests we become what we believe about what we are viewing. You need to read that sentence carefully.

I wonder if this is part of the reason why God prohibited images being made of Him? If we tend to act according to our beliefs when viewing pictures of blondes, then viewing an image of a god should also affect us as well. Although this study is probably not considered all that scientific by some in the know, I wonder if there isn't at least some truth to the conclusions drawn by the researchers.

If we do not use images of God then He remains invisible, mysterious, powerful, spiritual, transcendent, and sovereign. With an image He becomes manageable. Interesting how a study about how people view blondes can make you think about our relationship to God.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting. I would never have guessed. So I guess the blondes looking at themselves in the mirror (probably more often than most people look in the mirror) is what makes them "dumb"?

I wonder if all the pictures we've drawn of Jesus affect us in the same way.

Anonymous said...

I read that again & thought maybe my comment about the pictures we've drawn of Jesus makes it sound like I think they have made us dumb. I meant that I wonder if they affect how we view God, as you said in your post.

Bob Bliss said...

Lisa, I didn't think you meant looking at pictures of Jesus made us dumb. However, I did not think of those pictures of Jesus but now that you have brought it up, yes those pictures would fall in the same category. The application is that viewing pictures (or images) probably reinforces and maybe even creates in us certain beliefs. I wonder if our thinking about Jesus would be changed if our pictures were less Caucasian and more Semitic.

Anonymous said...

Bob-
This is a good post.
But how do I get my wife to understand that my looking at Blondes is a scientific study?

Bob Bliss said...

Don, first put on a white lab coat. Then put a pocket protector full of pens in your pocket. Next put on thick glasses and funny looking teeth. That should convince your wife that your serious about your research. Or maybe that you are a Jerry Lewis wannabe. Or maybe she will think that no blonde in her right mind would want you in that silly outfit.

preacherman said...

Bob,
Very interesting.
Thanks for posting this study.
I have learned alot about myself and others. :-)

In Him,
Kinney Mabry
Aka
Preacherman

TREY MORGAN said...

LOL - AW is too funny.

Ingrid Michaelson is the singer of the song "The way I am" that you asked about. Good stuff. Very adult contemp. Much like a Norah Jones.

Andrea said...

Hi Bob I found your site through Pat's, who I found through Lisa's who I found through Jim and Tina's. How's that for connected? I've enjoyed what I've read so far. Keep blathering.

Andrea Olley

Bob Bliss said...

Andrea, it's great to hear from you. Hope to hear some more.

Andrea said...

Actually, I've been tempted to call DYFS myself, but then I realize all the legal mumbo jumbo would cut into my time too much. When I went to bed last night the boys had written me a note thanking me and nominating me for mother of year! Pretty impressive huh? Wait until about 8pm when I send them to bed early tonight. I'll go from Hero to Zero in less than 60 seconds. Say hi to your sweet wife. I posted a note on her blog too. I've add you to my list of blogs.

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

My highly intelligent blonde will appreciate this! She always knew it was everyone else that was dumb, ;-) Great and interesting link.

BTW I saw that same Beatles tribute band ... and they were very good.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

Neva said...

Stopped by--

Have a great day,
Peace
neva

Bob Bliss said...

Neva, great to hear from you. Hope Nebraska is doing well for you.

Bill Williams said...

As we turn our hearts toward family and friends during the Christmas holiday, I wanted to let you to know that I am thankful for blessing of many new friends I’ve come to “know” here in blogland. The tie that binds us is our shared love for and devotion to the Savior whose birth we remember during this special time of the year. May your days be full of holiday blessings; and, may your heart be filled with the warmth of His presence.

Blessings,
-bill
Spiritual Oasis Blog