Wednesday, September 06, 2006

To Infinity and beyond!

On Monday we all (Pat, Loni, Lon, and Jeanne) went to the Kennedy Space Center. We bought 12 month passes. We can go see all the sights anytime we want for the next 12 months. There are two guided tours (up close and personal type of tours) that our pass does not cover, but the cost isn't that much and will be well worth it.

We arrived and ate lunch. Food was typical of parks like this. Over-priced and so so. However, it fulfilled its main function - filled my belly. We then took the non-guided tour of three stops. The first was the observation tower for the launch pads. We could actually see the shuttle on the launch pad. The lift-off has been delayed several times. Pat and her folks were going today to see the scheduled lift-off but it was postponed, again.

The second stop was the Apollo center. It had considerable more to see than the other two stops. I would like to go again and spend most of the day there. I think it would be worth it.

The third stop was the International Space Station building. We got to see parts of the space station and the area where the building for future parts is taking place. It was interesting but limited in what you could see.

The main attraction I wanted to see was the IMAX show. There are two of them. We saw the one narrated by Tom Hanks about the Moon (capitalize or not?). I was a little disappointed at first. The theatre is not what I would consider typical IMAX. The screen isn't quite as big as usual. However, this one was 3D. That made up for the difference. It was an incredible show. Sometimes it looked rocks were literally flying at your face! I enjoyed it on the whole.

I'm looking forward to taking Dan, Lisa, Nathan, Jeremy, and Derek to the Space Center. Our 12 month passes get discounts on day passes. I think it would be a lot of fun. So when can you guys come down? Maybe Christmas? Dan and Nathan will have the time off. So will Loni and Mom. Just a thought for now. I'm sure Mom is planning stuff for Christmas.

During our day at the space center I didn't really think much about the vastness of our universe. I thought more about the creative and productive energies of we humans. We are made in God's image and I believe firmly that the image includes our desire to explore, build, and dream. All one has to do is look at where we as a people are today and see that we are in God's image.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I'll see what I can do for Christmas-time. :)

Unfortunately, our exploring nature gets us into trouble, doesn't it? But why has it taken so long to get to where we are?

Bob Bliss said...

I don't know why we haven't progressed much in our space travel. Perhaps in the next few years we will see greater accomplishments.

Lisa said...

Actually, I was talking technology in general. You know, how it's taken 10,000+ years to get to the blackberry and razor-thin phone.