Thursday, September 13, 2007

Strange Funeral


Since Trey told Lisa that he's done funerals for just about every kind of pet I thought maybe he could appreciate this story. Pat received it from a kindergarten teacher we know back in New Jersey.


As a young minister, I was asked by a funeral director to hold a
grave-side service for a homeless man, with no family or friends.
The funeral was to be held at a cemetery way back in the country,
and this man would be the first to be laid to rest there.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods area, I became lost; and
being a typical man did not
stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late. I saw the
backhoe and the crew, who was eating lunch, but the hearse was
nowhere in sight. I apologized to the workers for my
tardiness, and stepped to the side of the open grave, where I saw
the vault lid already in place. I assured the workers I would not
hold them up for long, but this was t he proper thing to
do. The workers gathered around, still eating their lunch. I poured

out my heart and soul. As I preached the workers began to say
"Amen," "Praise the Lord," and "Glory"! I preached,
and I preached, like I'd never preached before: from Genesis all
the way to Revelations. I closed the lengthy service with a prayer
and walked to my car. As I was opening the door
and taking off my coat, I overheard one of the workers saying to
another, "I ain't never seen anything like that before and I've
been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."


I thought this story was hilarious. I've got a couple of stories like this only not involving a funeral. Perhaps I'll share one of those soon. Enjoy.

3 comments:

preacherman said...

Bob,
I love that story.
I needed a good laugh tonight before bed after getting 3 boys down (6,4 and 19 mo. old). Thanks brother. I appreciate it. :-)

I heard about a preacher one time that was doing a funeral and the casket fell over, and body fell over on him. He was shouting get it off me. Get it off me.

At another funner the preacher enterned the wrong door and all crowd heard was big splash. He had fell into the baptistry.

I love those funny stories. Again, thank you so much for sharing your story tonight. It is what I needed brother.

Anonymous said...

bob-
:)

TREY MORGAN said...

Never heard that one. Good stuff. I think that'd preach! :)

And, no, I've never done a funeral service for one of those.