Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Ephesians and Grace


I was doing a little research on a Greek part of speech for an upcoming class. I was consulting my old Greek text (Greek To Me by J. Lyle Story & Cullen I. K. Story) and I came across this quote that reminded me of my purpose in preaching.

The imperative mood aids our understanding of the letter to the Ephesians. In the first three chapters, the imperative appears only once (2:11), because at the outset, the writer desires to highlight the grace of God that unites Jew and Gentile in one body in Christ. The indicative mood pre-eminently, can do just that. In contrast, chapters 4-6 contain some 38 imperatives, which point us to the disciplined life that flows forth from the grace of God portrayed in chapters 1-3.

I have taught for a number of years that most of Paul's letters have a pattern to them. Paul first reminds his readers of the grace of God in Christ. Then he tells them have to live in view of that grace. Paul's use of the imperative mood in Ephesians really brings home this pattern. This pattern also becomes my two purposes in preaching.

My first purpose in preaching is to proclaim God's mighty act of salvation and deliverance in Jesus Christ. It is an accomplished task that didn't need or use any of we humans to accomplish (yes he used us in carrying out the plan - like Judas - but not in the sense which I mean in this sentence). It was done solely by God. It is given to us freely. We didn't earn it.

The other purpose in my preaching is to make known that God's grace binds us to the "disciplined life." This life can only be lived out in the context of the cross. We preachers need to make sure that we pay as much attention to preaching about the grace of God through Jesus Christ as we do how to live the Christian life. Our folks need to know that while they live the Christian life God is graciously smiling down upon them because they are living that life while trusting in him.

6 comments:

The Preacher's Household: said...

Bob,

Thanks for coming by yesterday. We are having a laid back day today. The 4th is always great that way. The only glitch is we didn't put out our trash this morning. I told Kathy it would run tomorrow. Would you expect it to run on the 4th. I was wrong. So we have three large bags to add to next weeks trash.

Now to the post, yes we do need to emphasize both. I think it gets out of balance so much. The sad thing is the activity without the grace. So many live lives without any joy or confidence. Fear rules them. I have seen this especially with some older christians. They are such neat people but have had trouble trusting in His grace.

James

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

I remember that book. The cartoons and all. But I loved it. Gets you actually reading faster than most books. And lots of vocabulary too. And then you have occasional insights like this on Ephesians.

Yep there are patterns in Scripture but sometimes we preach ones that are not there and then ignore the ones that are.

I am preaching through Ephesians right now and am enjoying it greatly.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

Matthew said...

Are you the pulpit minister for the Mount Dora congregation? Spent some time down there, while my wife, future wife at that time was teaching in the school.

www.matthewsblog.waynesborochurchofchrist.org

Bob Bliss said...

Matthew, that's me. When was she here? What congregation did she attend? Did you just come down for a visit or two or did you live here as well? It's a nice area. The congregation here has received me well.

Frank Bellizzi said...

Bob,

That's a nice quote and some very good thoughts about Ephesians. This post is coming in handy since I'm supposed to do a lesson on "The Unity of the Spirit."

Bob Bliss said...

Frank, glad it was helpful. I pray that your lesson goes well - both in its presentation and its reception.