Saturday, August 04, 2007

Our Media Culture

Here are some links to some interesting posts at FaithVisuals. The first is a two part interview with Shane Hipps. Hipps wrote The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture. I would recommend reading it. He has some interesting insights because of his work in the advertising business. The folks at FaithVisuals had a two part interview with him that you can read beginning here. Then you can read the second part here. He doesn't reject the visual media outright but does explore cautionary thinking toward the use of video projectors during our sermons.

FaithVisuals also has an interesting post about using icons in your PowerPoint slides rather than photos. I think the author makes an interesting point. Read his insights here and see what you think. He claims that sometimes photos can be distracting since the photo represents something specific rather than an idea. For instance, if you are talking about the home and use a photo of a home, some might sit in the audience and think, "I like that home!" They are distracted from your point. But an icon of a house helps them to picture their own home rather than someone else's. I think to a degree that this discussion fits in with Hipps's discussion about the medium having a message all its own.

Another thought pertaining to distractions during a PowerPoint sermon, Dr. Arlene Taylor recommends using only a white background. She maintains that colors bring up memories and thus a distraction. Dr. Taylor has a bi-monthly enewsletter about research on the brain. You can read her discussion on the use of white backgrounds here. Scroll down to the Q&A section. I suppose anything can be a distraction to anyone. You can never be sure of whether a fragrance, color, article of clothing, a word, or almost anything could be a distraction.

So what do some of you preachers do with your PowerPoint slides? How do you craft a presentation? For those of you who don't preach, what do your preachers do with PowerPoint? What do you think is an effective use of PowerPoint? I've been thinking about this for some time now. I've read a couple of books but I'm still trying to grow and learn. Share your thoughts with me.

6 comments:

TREY MORGAN said...

I thought the articles were well thought out and interesting. They gave me some things to think about that I haven't considered. I do like the "icons" verses "pictures" idea. I may give that a try the next couple of weeks and see if anyone notices.

I do use LOTS of pictures. We're such visual learners. Sometimes instead of points I have pictures. For example ... instead of having a point about marriage, I still make the point, but instead of writing to point out for the overhead ... I just have a picture of a couple getting married.

I've only been using the powerpoint for about 2 years. I think it has REALLY helped the "learning" and "remembering" when it comes to sermons.

A while back I did a sermon on "Treasures in Heaven" and I talked about treasure hunters. I started with pictures of great treasure hunters like Captian Jack Sparrow, Benjamin Gates (Nicolas Cage - National Treasure)and then the great treasure hunter "Mr. Crabs" from Spongebob Squarepants. I specifically remember it stuck because I still have some kids come up to me and ask me about the Mr. Crab's sermon.

Pictures work.

preacherman said...

Bob,
Great post brother.

I am at a small country church and don't use power point. It is not that I am against it. I use a lot of stories, jokes, illustrations, object lessons, etc. I am all for for power point in sermons. I know it can be a great tool. But, I know for me having 3 young boys (6, 4, 18 months, a wife going to school full time, trying to take care of my self and other ministry duties: visiting widows, sick, and encouraging others and trying to be seen in community) I am glad the church doesn't care that I don't use it.

Bob Bliss said...

I preach for a mostly older congregation. They don't seem to like pictures as much so I try to limit them. But I do things with my text rather than just the tradition bullet points of the slide.

When I do chapel at our local Bible School (elementary, middle school, and high school) I use more pictures and less text. I did the elementary kids chapel every other Wednesday. I started my first chapel with a picture of Klondike bar and asked the question, "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" I had fun suggesting what they might give up (like their brother or sister). Every chapel since I have found a way to slip in a picture of the Klondike Bar. The kids remember my point and some have even seen my in the local supermarket. For the older kids I've done various things but focus on pictures. I was even able to slip in a photo of me my freshman year playing bass in our band. I think stuff like that helps connect with the kids.

Kinney, keep up your good work. I don't seriously that God will have a PowerPoint presentation orienting us to heaven when we arrive.

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Bob thanks for the thoughtful and helpful links. The integration of technology into my preaching (not so much teaching) I have struggled with. In fact I have a love/hate relationship with PP for preaching. The verdict is still out for me.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

jel said...

morning bob,

if I can find the picture,I will post it. I was 19 when the picture was taking!

jel said...

me again, FOUND THE PIC,
and as soon as i can get someone to scan it for me , will post it! :)